.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Sandwich Shop

These are my thoughts. They are based on what I see going on around me.

Name:
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, United States

I know very little about myself. If I did know myself better, I probably wouldn't be doing this.

Monday, September 26, 2005

Golden Oldie:
It is appropriate to call this post golden because of its subject matter and an oldie because it was originally written in 2003.
" At Least Put My Shoes On "
I just pulled the last piece off my dearly departed 1987 Volvo 240DL station wagon ( it was the turn signal flasher ). The wagon finally went down after the fourth time someone decided to smash into it. I haven't spent this much time under a car in twenty years.
All hail "The Golden Bomb"! Trips to Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida passing through a bunch of states along the way.
The odometer died at 224,963 miles; the gas gauge had died about five hundred miles before that.
"The Bomb" ran for about another 1200 miles post odometer, and run it did. It always seemed like it was chomping at the bit. With a trailer hitch,
800 pound trailer, all the belongings a first year college student needed ( a full trailer's worth ), and three passengers, The Bomb cruised throught the Smoky Mountains without even yawning.
When our motorhome ( The Box ) broke a coil wire on the far side of our subdivision, The Golden Bomb, with my wife at the wheel, towed it and me back home.
I doubt the 1987 Volvo 240DL wagon I bought to replace The Bomb will have a name. The "new" wagon is in very nice shape. The few things it did need I was able to salvage from The Bomb. After I did that, I decided to pull off as many spare parts as I could from The Bomb. The more parts I took off, the less The Bomb seemed like the "person" it was when it was running " Against The Wind ".
The operation took on a very methodical aire. Brake pads, calipers, alternator, ac compressor, power steering pump, ac relay, distributor cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, air mass meter, tail lights, tires
( I swapped them with the tires from the "new" 240 ), bulbs, oxygen sensor, trailer hitch, radiator, fan, fan clutch, and more.
By the time I was done, I was tired and not feeling very sentimental about The Bomb, mostly because The Bomb did not give up its parts willingly ( one laceration per part on average ).
Finally, I "made the call" to the salvage yard, and they said they would be out " in a day or two" to tow the Bomb away.
As I stood looking at The Bomb, knowing it would soon be history, I began to remember what a friend it had been and the adventures we had shared. I opened the tailgate of the Bomb and pulled out a cardboard box. In the box was the original set of hubcaps that came with the Bomb, way back when. I carefully put each hubcap back on The Bomb. There was no way I could send The Golden Bomb off without its shoes on.
Nah, I don't think the "new" car will ever have a name. Not until a lot miles and a lot of adventures have been racked up anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home