.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Sandwich Shop

These are my thoughts. They are based on what I see going on around me.

Name:
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, United States

I know very little about myself. If I did know myself better, I probably wouldn't be doing this.

Monday, September 19, 2005

There is not one example of a "super power" standing the test of time on the planet Earth.After thousands of years of humans trying to get the "super power" thing right and failing, you would think we would at least consider the possibility that creating a successful "super power" may be as elusive as building a perpetual motion machine.
Am I un-American for saying this ? Not in my book; I would like to see America last 'til the end of time.But, my dream is for all nations to be partners in the world ( I'm self-employed; I hate bosses ).
There is a very popular notion these days that no other nation on Earth can be trusted other than ours. To those who believe this I would ask the question:
Is it the governments of these countries we can't trust or the people who live in them ?
Governments come and go with the wind, but the basic, hard-working, everyday people of all countries will always be there and will always be basically honest and trustworthy. If you don't believe me, crack a history book and look it up.
On Thursday, September 15, 2005 Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez address the United Nations. Among other things he called for moving the United Nations from the United States to Jerusalem. What a great question to ask ourselves. Would we like to see the U.N. moved to another country ? I personally have heard voices in this country calling for us either to quit the U.N. or shut it down for decades.
Following the beginning of the war in Iraq, there was daily talk about how useless the U.N.was becoming from every media outlet you could think of. But, the talk always was centered around the fate of the U.N. being in America's hands to decide.
Now that someone from outside the United States is calling for basically the same thing, I would suggest holding all those inside this country who have been calling for the elimination of the U.N. accountable if they now are indignant that another country would have the gall to make such a suggestion.
As an American, I am proud of the fact that the United Nations is in my country. But, the health and well-being of the United Nations is what matters, not where it is located. If it had to move to function better, I would be sad on one hand, but relieved on the other.
I grew up in a house where my father was from Norway, my mother was born in America, and my grandmother was from Poland. I lived in a mini-United Nations.
As a kid I was affected by the assembly's ability to live and work together every day of my life. Every single day was filled with debates, culture clashes, declarations of war, and peace negotiations. Moving the entire family to another house was not an option. I had to learn to deal with it the best I could, and along the way figure out how to add my own voice to the mix. It was harder than Hell, and I wouldn't trade it for any amount of money, power, or fame.
It taught me that everybody is right; they're just not right all the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home