.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Sandwich Shop

These are my thoughts. They are based on what I see going on around me.

Name:
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, United States

I know very little about myself. If I did know myself better, I probably wouldn't be doing this.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Mom Was Right Again:
I first heard this phrase from my mom. In fact, come to think of it, she may be the only person I ever actually heard say, "Out of everything bad comes something good".
When I read the headline,"Is the big SUV dying ?", her words rang in my ear. I know we're supposed to be all worried and filled with a sense of doom over the rising cost of gasoline and it's potential scarcity. But, as I read that
[ "sales of sport-utility vehicles took a dive in September", "sales of the Ford Explorer dropped by 58% and sales of the Ford Expedition
( 14mpg ) dropped 61%", "Ford even stopped producing its even larger Suv, the Excursion", " sales of GM's full-size SUVs fell 56%", " Hummer H2 (10 mpg ) sales were off 31%", "sales of Toyota's immense Sequoia
( 15mpg ) were off 46%, "Honda's Pilot was off 26%", "Nissan's Armada
( 13 mpg ) was off 20%" ], instead of wringing my hands in a fit of worry, I found myself smiling and humming to myself, " It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood".
In fact, it will be hard for me not to pump my fist in the air the next time I get behind the wheel of my four cylinder Volvo station wagon and let out a Homer Simpson-style, "Woo-Hoo !"
Using my less than perfect math skills, I figure these numbers mean a potential drop in the number of SUVs on the road, while I am on the road, in the 40% range.
That would mean when I park at the supermarket, I would have a four in ten shot at not having to park between two SUVs. That would translate into a four in ten shot of being able to actually pull out of that parking spot and being able to see any vehicles about to crash into me ( as opposed to the Russian Roulette method SUVs offer ).
I would have a four in ten shot at making eye contact with drivers headed right at me while they talk on their cell phones in heavy traffic.
When I park in a public parking lot, I would have a four in ten shot of mysterious "dings" showing up on my car less frequently, the kind that are usually the same height as an SUV bumper.
Speaking of public parking lots, I would have a four in ten chance of not having to watch SUV drivers point their keychain remotes at their SUVs
(and hearing that annoying "beep,beep" sound ) as they lock them up so they can buy groceries, and not have to worry about all those nasty car thieves that hang out in supermarket parking lots in broad daylight.
That in turn would mean a four in ten chance of not ever hearing the alarm in an SUV going off in the middle of a parking lot for twenty or thirty minutes while no one pays any attention to it. ( other than to wish someone would actually steal it or throw a rock through the window ).
I could go on, but I don't want to sound like I'm gloating. I'll just finish by saying if gas hits $6.00 a gallon and suddenly all the SUVs are gone, how do I act like I'm not happier than when only 40% of them were gone ?
I mean, $6.00 a gallon for gas would be a bad thing, wouldn't it ?
" Woo-Hoo ! "

1 Comments:

Blogger george corneliussen said...

This is a test to see if posting option is working.

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home