.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Sandwich Shop

These are my thoughts. They are based on what I see going on around me.

Name:
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, United States

I know very little about myself. If I did know myself better, I probably wouldn't be doing this.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Four Reasons To Love Harry Truman:
( and in the process find hope for the future)
On June 7, 1945 Harry Truman wrote:
" You know Americans are funny birds. They are always sticking their noses into somebody's business which isn't any of theirs. The United States was created by boys and girls who couldn't get along at home. So-called Puritans who weren't by any manner of means pure came to Massachusetts to try out their own witch burning theories."
On November 14, 1947 Harry Truman wrote:
" A man in his right mind would never want to be President if he knew what it entails. Aside from the impossible administrative burden, he has to take all sorts of abuse from liars and demagogues.
The people can never understand why the President does not use his supposedly great power to make 'em behave. Well all the President is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do."
On November 5, 1950 Harry Truman wrote:
" Because two crackpots or crazy men tried to shoot me a few days ago my good and efficient gaurds are nervous. So I'm trying to be as helpful as I can. Would like very much to take a walk this morning but the S.S. say that there are more crackpots around and the "Boss" and Margie are worried about me-so I won't take my usual walk."
Sometime in 1954 Harry Truman wrote:
" I wonder how far Moses would have gone if he'd taken a poll in Egypt? What would Jesus Christ have preached if he'd taken a poll in Israel? Where would the Reformation have gone if Martin Luther had taken a poll? It isn't polls or public opinion of the moment that counts. It is right and wrong and leadership- men with fortitude, honesty and a belief in the right that makes epochs in the history of the world."
I don't drink, but I just might "crack a cold one" with the late-great Mr. Truman if I had the chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home