.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Sandwich Shop

These are my thoughts. They are based on what I see going on around me.

Name:
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, United States

I know very little about myself. If I did know myself better, I probably wouldn't be doing this.

Thursday, November 24, 2005

They Just Don't Build Protestors Like They Used To:
So, you're sick and tired of the cost of a gallon of gas these days and you're going to do something about it,something that will make people sit up and take notice of just how serious you are about the whole mess.
Hold on there Babba Louie! Before you initiate your grand plan, perhaps you better check out the competition. That would be one Herbert O'Dell Smith, aka Digger O'Dell.
From,"Time" magazine, June 25, 1979 ( Vol. 113 No.26 ,page: 26, under the heading, "Planting a Seed").

" When the gasoline began to run out and the prices to run up, Herbert O'Dell Smith,64, agreed to do his bit for the energy crisis. A professional stunt man, he had earned his nickname of "Digger O'Dell" by allowing himself to be buried alive for various ventures. He was campaigning underground for president Carter in Columbia, S.C. in 1976 when he had a heart attack that prompted his retirement.
But to dramatize the gas crunch, the Digger agreed to be buried at Mack's Mobile Homes lot on Highway 280 in Phenix City, Ala.
"I'm not coming up till gas prices come down", said Digger. Then, wearing a T shirt and pajama bottoms, he climbed into his temporary coffin (6 ft. long and 32 in. wide and high, wth a septic tank below and a viewing periscope above that doubled as a dumbwaiter for Digger's food). He was covered by 6 ft. of earth and 4 in. of concrete. Two telephones, a radio and a television, as well as the periscope connected him to the outside world. "I'm just one person, but I'm telling it like it is," he would say, "We don't have a gas shortage, we've got a gas wastage."
Unfortunately for Digger, however, gas prices kept going up and so did his blood pressure. Last week only ten days into his stint, he was ordered unearthed by his doctor. "I'm convinced the seed I planted will be cultivated," proclaimed the haggard Digger. Then he headed back to Cummung, Ga. to tend to the tomatoes on his farm."

Can you dig it?

2 Comments:

Blogger Four Angels said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog for the past 20 minutes and I figured it was time to say something...Great job man, it's hilarious...


(intimateexcursions.blogspot.com)

6:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have family in Phenix City,and childhood memories are filled with trips from Union Springs to Phenix City. One of the routine things to do on the way was stop off at digger o'dells and chat with him and his wife. and the dogs. This wonderful memory has not crossed my mind in a long time. Thanks for bringing it up. Oh dont know if you know the story of his wifes death or not..........was very sad.

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home