.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Sandwich Shop

These are my thoughts. They are based on what I see going on around me.

Name:
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, United States

I know very little about myself. If I did know myself better, I probably wouldn't be doing this.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

13 Miners Trapped In West Virginia Coal Mine:

Just before dawn on Monday January 1st, an explosion trapped 13 miners in a cave-in caused by an explosion at the Sago coal mine in Tallmansville, West Virginia.As of this writing hope is slim for their survival due to high levels of carbon monoxide found in the mine.Both my wife's grandfather and my grandfather were coal miners;they were great examples of human beings.In 1994 the country group Diamond Rio recorded a song that my wife has played on and off for years. these are the lyrics to that song:

Kentucky Mine:

His eyes are greener than the meadows
His hair is greyer than a ghost
His lungs are blacker than the shadows
That dance in circles down below

You see them every Monday morning
Electric halos light their way
Five days of widows mourning
But Friday rolls the stone away

Kentucky mine, doing time
Never see the light of day
Kentucky mine, stand in line
Just to dig your own grave

From coal dust they make a living
To coal dust they will return
The earth is good but unforgiving
And someone's got to keep the fire burnin'
Daddy says, "Listen to me, Do not follow where my footsteps lead"

Kentucky mine, doing time
Never see the light of day
Kentucky mine, stand in line
Just to dig your own grave

And everything he said was true
But what's a Kentucky boy to do?

Kentucky mine, doing time
Never see the light of day
Kentucky mine, stand in line
Just to dig your own grave

My wife's grandfather was a miner in Indiana. My grandfather was a miner in Pennsylvania. They never met each other, yet they were brothers and Diamond Rio's song was written for them, even though they both died decades before it was written. I don't know any of the men trapped in the Sago mine, but they are all related to our grandfathers and Diamond Rio's song was written for them as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home